Sunday, December 9, 2007

Homework 5

Superstitions
1. Do you think its important to talk about superstitions? Why?
I think superstitions are important to talk about because they give us some idea of the cultural background of a country. Also, superstitions can sometimes be connected with taboo aspects of culture and they show us who we are supposed to act during certain situations (like passing food from chopstick to chopstick, or leaving chopsticks in the bowl).

2. Is communication affected by superstitions?
I think communication can be affected by superstitions. Superstitions can sometimes can sometimes keep us from talking about certain subjects, such as death. They can also cause communication to breakdown if, for example, we do something inappropriate thats related to a superstition. Even if superstitions don't make logical sense, people tend to believe in them strongly, so doing something against someone's superstitious beliefs can cause a very strong reaction.

3. Do you believe in Japanese superstitions? What do they mean to you?
Since I'm not Japanese I don't really believe in Japanese superstitions. I don't really think I believe in American superstitions either. Although sometimes I do notice myself thinking about superstitious things. I remember recently I thought it was strange when I saw a Japanese person opening an umbrella inside a building (in America this is considered bad luck). Even though I don't believe in that kind of thing, just seeing someone do it was a little shocking to me.

1 comment:

ddcgc donardo said...

Hi,I was surprise to hear that it is strange to open an umbrella inside a building in America. I barely do that in Japan though...
and I also think when we are in foreign countries, we should know what taboo there are in. So, I really agree with your opinion on superstition.